Hi Again Friends! Wow, what a week it has been. We have been trying to survive without a sink and dishwasher and it's been quite the challenge! If we ever have a zombie apocalypse, I am pretty sure it will be the little things that do me in, ha! We've been using paper plates and plastic-ware as much as possible, but you just can't do everything that way. It's just inconvenient and I'll leave it at that. 1st world problems, I know.
Ok, so on to demo week 2. Progress has been a little slow, but a few things have happened. A really great guy, Samuel, came in and prepped the cabinet for the farm sink. This is a task that hubs and I were not up for. This job requires cabinetry work and we wanted to be doubly sure the sink foundation was nice and solid, so we have a pro handling it. We were hoping to have the counter template done this last week, but that didn't work out, so we have them coming in on Wednesday. Then Thursday, Samuel will be back out to build out the cabinet doors and I believe the sink surround, but am not 100% sure on that. He will be coming back for a 3rd time, after the counter is installed to do the last bit of finishing work.
One project we needed to knock out was fixing the craters we made in the wall when taking out the existing back splash. We picked up some Beadex 90 and went to work. This is something I've never done before, but it was pretty easy, actually. It's funny, a couple of years ago, I would have been terrified to do a job like this, but after you do a few things, it's not so scary any more. You just have to jump in and realize if you mess something up, it's not the end of the world (unless you do something crazy, like cut a live electrical wire, then it may be the end of your world - save that stuff for the Pros).
I did the first layer and since some of the holes were REALLY big, I let it dry all day and overnight before sanding and coming back with a second coat. This morning I broke out the orbital sander and went to work. 10 seconds in, I was standing in a white cloud. I knew that wasn't going to work because let's be honest, I don't want to dust the entire house! So we broke out the shop vac, a coffee cup and some duct tape, haha. Yes, I know, but hey, you do what you got to do. This jinkies tape job did the trick, though!
Ok, so now we have the holes fixed. We also skim coated over the texture on the wall where the backsplash will be to give it a nice flat surface to adhere to. No, I've never done a skim coat before, either, but it turned out pretty flat and it doesn't have to be pretty. Just flat. I will be sanding it down one more time tonight, just to make sure it's ready to go.
Ok, guys, that is it for this week. Time to get off the computer and get back to work! Thank you, as always, for stopping by to see what we've been up to. I'll be back next week with another update!
Hi Friends! My name is Kris. I'm a mom and wife who loves to DIY around the house and fix up old things to make them beautiful again!
I've been Featured: